Act IV, Sc. I: Rome, at Antony’s house
1. Octavius and Antony form a triumvirate with
2. The triumvirate seems
a. cold and ruthless.
b. anxious to preserve Roman justice.
c. a close-knit alliance.
3. Name two things that Antony does or says that show him to be a
changed man – for the worse.
4. Antony compares Lepidus to a donkey because
a. he is only useful for doing the work Antony doesn’t want to do.
b. he is stubborn.
c. he complains a lot about his work.
d. he is lazy.
5. Antony compares Lepidus to his horse because
a. Lepidus can’t do things on his own, but must be told what to do.
b. Lepidus is a loyal and brave soldier.
c. Lepidus will eventually be “put out to pasture.”
d. Lepidus is merely good for carrying loads for others.
6. How is the triumvirate “like the bear” in a bear-baiting?
7. The comparisons that Antony and Octavius use (Lepidus to a donkey and a horse; the triumvirate to a bear) are examples of what figure of speech?
Act IV, Sc. 2: A military camp near Sardis
1. After Brutus and Cassius meet and begin to argue, Brutus suggests meeting privately in his tent instead. Why is this
a good idea?
2. Cassius claims he was wronged by
d. all of the above
Act IV, Sc. 3: A military camp near Sardis, in Brutus’ tent
1. Cassius claims that Brutus
a. publicly disgraced a friend of his.
b. disregarded his requests.
c. chose the wrong time for disciplining minor offenses.
d. all of the above
2. Who else does Brutus accuse of taking bribes?
a. the Sardians
3. Whose death has Brutus been sorrowing over? How did she die?
4. The quarrel between Brutus and Cassius at camp near Sardis shows
a. how the conspiracy is disintegrating.
b. Brutus’ growing ability to deal with practical problems.
c. Cassius’ ability to manipulate Brutus.
5. While speaking with Cassius, what military action does Brutus want to take? What is one reason he gives for doing this?
6. Cassius disagrees. What is his idea? What is one reason he gives?
7. Why do you think Cassius gives in to Brutus?
8. What reason does Caesar’s ghost give for coming to visit Brutus?
In order to help you understand the content of your 10th grade literature class, you will find information from which you need to take notes. You will also find additional materials to help you along in the course.