If you did not get a chance to finish your notes on Logical fallacies or if you just want to review before the big test, then below you will find a link to the presentation we viewed in class.
Please complete the review items below and have ready to turn in the next time we meet. Remember you will have a very similar format for your quiz!
1. My grandmother ate 10 cloves of raw garlic every day. Not surprisingly, she lived to be 102.
2. I guess I should buy my 12-year-old daughter an iPhone. Everyone at her new school has one and I want her to fit in with the other kids.
3. If you don’t say the Pledge of Allegiance, then you must be a traitor.
4. Every time I wash my car, it rains the next day. My car washing definitely affects the weather.
5. Studies show it takes up to seven years for the human body to digest a piece of gum.
6. Charlie: I think we should put more money into schools. Quality public education is so important.
Bob: So you’re saying we should cut military spending and spend it instead on more spiral notebooks and crayons? I guess you want our country to be a weak, defenseless target for terrorists.
7. I’m raising funds to help cure XYZ disease. If you don’t donate, then you’re part of the problem.
8. Many women claim that they want to live in a peaceful world, but we must remember that there were no nuclear weapons before women were given the right to vote.
9. My opponent raises a good point, but can we really trust him? I mean, he moved to this town only two years ago and everyone knows that his wife left him.
10. The economy continues to grow as the number of “likes” on my Instagram account continue to increase. Clearly, the two are linked.
11. My cousin Bob works as a mechanic at Oil Changers and he says that renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, aren’t going to provide any help in fixing our nation’s energy crisis.
12. Oh, please. What would you know about labor laws? You don’t even have a job.
13. I know you don’t like the kitty-cat sweater that Grandma knitted for you, but she worked so hard on it and it will make her happy to see you wear it in the family holiday photo.
14. Charlie: Fast food is filled with salt, fat, and added sugars. We need better regulation of the industry.
Bob: That may be, but you’re such a hypocrite! I saw you devour a Triple-Baconator, super-sized fries, and 64 ounces of soda yesterday.
15. If I don’t take this A.P. class, then I won’t do well on the exam. If I don’t do well on the A.P. exam, then I can’t get into a good college. If I can’t get into a good college, then I’ll never get a good job. If I can’t get a good job, then I’m going to have to live in my parents’ basement forever. Guess I’ll sign up for the A.P. class.
16. Global chocolate consumption is highest in Switzerland, yet people there are among the trimmest in the industrialized world. Therefore, it’s reasonable to conclude that chocolate helps keep your weight down.
17. There is definitely a link between autism and the vaccines given to toddlers. I know this because a Wikipedia entry mentioned numerous studies that found this to be true.
18. We think this new MallTime game app will be a success because all little girls like shopping.
19. Medical expenses for the elderly continue to rise. If you don’t buy long-term health care insurance now, you probably won’t be able to qualify once you’re older. Sure, the insurance policy is a little expensive, but it’s worth spending the money today so you don’t go bankrupt in the future, becoming a burden to your family.
20. Charlie: Illegal posting and sharing of songs online is crippling the music industry.
Bob: You couldn’t be more wrong; the music industry is doing just fine. I can’t believe you think the government should be allowed to regulate what I share with my “friends.” No one wants a world where I can’t loan a book to my girlfriend, let my roommate borrow my iPod, or share a funny meme with my blog followers.
Persuasive Appeals Review
Matching: Use the word bank below to match up the descriptions that follow.
Ethos Pathos Logos
In order to help you understand the content of your 10th grade literature class, you will find information from which you need to take notes. You will also find additional materials to help you along in the course.