Respond to the following quote:
"Nobody is a villain in their own story. We're all the heroes of our own story."
- George R. R. Martin
Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Please make sure your entry is at least a paragraph long with argumentation and concrete proof.
Don't forget the logic of argumentation that we've been discussing in class.
Students began studying the literary elements in Beowulf. I asked students to fill in the blanks while I reviewed this information in class. Additionally, students were able to see examples of the elements and how they are used in Beowulf. Lastly, students were informed that this document is a study guide. Their test will contain a matching activity where I will ask them to match specific elements to their corresponding textual evidence. We will complete this activity in class and review it before I give an assessment.
Reading Check #3
The Battle with the Dragon and The Funeral Pyre
1. Why does the dragon attack Beowulf’s kingdom?
2. True or False. Beowulf tells his soldiers that he will fight the dragon alone.
3. Who says, “I’ve never known fear; as a youth I fought/
In endless battles. I am old now,/
But I will fight again, seek fame still,/
If the dragon hiding in his tower dares/
To face me”?
4. How does the dragon fatally wound Beowulf?
5. True or False. Beowulf’s men come to his rescue and help him defeat the dragon.
6. What role does Wiglaf play in the battle with the dragon?
7. What does Beowulf wish his last sight to be before he dies?
8. What does Beowulf request Wiglaf to build in his honor after he dies?
9. True or False. Wiglaf becomes the next king of the Geats after Beowulf’s death.
10. Who says, “Too few of his warriors remembered/
To come, when our lord faced death, alone./
And now the giving of swords, of golden/
Rings and rich estates, is over,/
Ended for you and everyone who shares/
Your blood: when the brave Geats hear/
How you bolted and ran none of your race/
Will have anything
left but their lives”?
Ms. Davis is my name and teaching English (along with several other superhuman powers) is my game. I love language and the power of words, and I hope some of my enthusiasm rubs off on you as well.