29. Retell the folk tale Ekwefi tells about the Tortoise. What role does the Tortoise traditionally play in African folklore?
30. What does the incident involving Ezinma and Chielo show about Ekwefi and Okonkwo?
31. What is an uri? Describe the ceremony that takes places involving Akueke.
32. Describe Okonkwo’s actions the night Chielo takes Ezinma. What do these actions demonstrate about his character?
33. What tragedy occurs during Ezeudu’s funeral? Who is responsible? How is this crime categorized?
34. What is the punishment for Ezeudu’s accidental death? Where does the guilty man go? How does he feel about this?
Chapter Fourteen – Part Two:
35. What kind of reception does Okonkwo receive from his mother’s people? Identify these main characters.
36. What is Uchendu’s lesson for Okonkwo? According to Uchendu, what is Okonkwo’s duty?
37. Copy the two lines of the mourning song for women on p. 125. What can you infer about women in the Ibo culture from these lines?
38. In Okonkwo’s second year of exile, Obierika visits him. What news about the village of Abame does he bring?
39. What incident initiated the downfall of Abame? What role did the Oracle play in this incident?
40. What (besides news) does Obierika bring to Okonkwo? Why is this important to Okonkwo?
41. In Okonkwo’s fourth year of exile, Obierika visits Okonkwo a second time and tells him that Christian missionaries have arrived in Umuofia. Which important character is among the converts?
42. What word do they use to describe the converts and what does it mean?
43. Although “it was not the mad logic of the Trinity that captivated him,” three tribal traditions or incidents are sufficient to persuade Nwoye to follow the missionaries. What are these three things?
44. What is the “evil forest” plan? What is the outcome of this plan?
45. What is Okonkwo’s reaction to Nwoye when he enters his father’s compound? In what way does Nwoye plot a “revenge.”
46. What fear does Okonkwo express as he stares into the fire? Refer to p. 142.
47. Who/what are osu? Discuss the conflict surrounding their admission to the church.
48. Retell the “holy python” incident. What does this incident show about the unity of the tribe?
49. What happens during the Easter week? What happens to Okoli? Why is the clan reassured by this?
50. What things does Uchendu pray for as he breaks the kola nut?
51. What is the name of Okonkwo’s first son born to him while in exile? What is the significance of his name?
52. What important concepts are illustrated by the farewell feast?
In order to help you understand the content of your 10th grade literature class, you will find information from which you need to take notes. You will also find additional materials to help you along in the course.