The Battle with Grendel’s Mother
A word of caution, my young friends: It would behoove you to follow the directions. If you do, you will receive full credit. Here are the directions I gave you in class:
1. How does Grendel’s mother seek revenge for her son’s death?
2. True or False. Beowulf hesitates to answer Hrothgar’s challenge to kill Grendel’s mother.
3. Who says, “Let your sorrow end! It is better for us all/ To avenge our friends, not mourn them forever”?
4. Where is Grendel’s mother’s lair located?
5. True or False. Hrunting enables Beowulf’s victory over Grendel’s mother.
6. True or False. Beowulf’s armor protects him from being injured by Grendel’s mother.
7. How is Beowulf able to defeat Grendel’s mother?
8. What does Beowulf take back to Hrothgar as trophies? Name the two items.
9. When Beowulf refers to Grendel’s mother as “she-devil,” he is using what Anglo-Saxon literary device?
10. Who says, “This prince/ Of the Geats, Beowulf, was born a better/ Man! Your fame is everywhere, my friend,/ Reaches to the ends of the earth, and you hold it in your heart wisely,/ Patient with your strength and our weakness”?
Ms. Davis is my name and teaching English (along with several other superhuman powers) is my game. I love language and the power of words, and I hope some of my enthusiasm rubs off on you as well.